Why get verified on Twitter and Instagram
A business applies for an Instagram and Twitter verified badge to establish credibility and increase search visibility. Twitter and Instagram are great channels to grow your network for marketing message delivery. Yet, they rarely obtain the blue checkmark indicating account verification. Instagram and Twitter verification has been intentionally made difficult to obtain and is often only available for public figures and global companies. However, with how many people use Twitter, the increase in fake accounts and false news, Instagram and Twitter verification policies are due to shift in order to verify authentic accounts. Here are tips on setting up your accounts to increase your chances of a Twitter and Instagram verified badge.
Essential Steps to Become Verified on Twitter
In 2017, Twitter suspended their verification process due to fake news, misinformation, and false accounts. The Twitter CEO, Jack Dorsey, stated they are considering opening up Twitter verification to more accounts. Instead of verification based on public impact, it will be emphasizing identifying and confirming authentic accounts. This less strict verification is good news for businesses, though, it does not necessarily mean when the Twitter verification comes back your account will receive a blue checkmark. Twitter will still be viewing account’s setup, postings, and engagement. Here are tips to be ready for a Twitter verification badge:
- Be active on Twitter. Twitter verification wants to see you making an effort to consistently post and engage followers. Learn about Content Creation Strategies for great marketing fodder!
- Make your Twitter account public.
- Follow Twitter verified accounts. This exhibits to Twitter your business desires to be part of the verified group. (Also take a look at these accounts as an example of how you should set up your account to receive Twitter verified badge.)
- Update the account’s information. Your profile needs to contain information that meets Twitter’s criteria. This includes a profile photo, header photo, business name, business bio, and business’s location.
Twitter Business Bio
In the Twitter bio, mention your area of expertise or company mission. Keep the bio simple and easy to read. Let followers know who you are and why you are unique. Bad Twitter bios will be vague, too much of a sales pitch, say “follow me back”, overuse hashtags and emojis, and have grammatical errors.
Good Twitter Bio Examples:
- Vox- “Understand the News”
- Tesla motors- “Always on insane-mode. Maker of electric cars and renewable energy storage. Join the rEVolution!”
The main take away about Twitter verification is they are looking for business accounts that utilize Twitter the way it was originally meant to be, which is to engage with other accounts and have public discussions. Here is more tips on How to Use Business Twitter Accounts to find followers and increase engagement.
How to Get Verified on Instagram
So far Instagram verification procedure has not changed. It is not impossible to be Instagram verified but the difficulty is the inability to request verification. Instagram chooses the accounts they want to verify. Nevertheless, Instagram similar to Twitter is underpressure to get rid of the overwhelming amount of fake accounts. The hard part for Instagram is fake accounts have increasingly become more exhausting to detect. The fake accounts engage by liking photos and add photos to profile to appear legit. This may force Instagram verification to adjust in the future to contain the issue and help accounts confirm their identity. For now here are suggestions on how to grow your chances to get verified on Instagram:
- Use popular hashtags in posts to get followers and engagement
- Interact with other users by commenting and liking
- Promote Instagram account on other social media platforms
- Instagram bios should contain a one or two hashtags
- Link other social media platforms and business website to your Instagram account to verify your identity
Conclusion: How to Get Verified for Twitter and Instagram
Seeing that Instagram verified badge is challenging there are other ways to authenticate your account. One big way is to create great content with high quality photos and videos that will gain users.